Algeria – The eastern region of the country recorded during the 2017-2018 season, "the highest number of deaths by carbon monoxide asphyxiation with 33 cases out of a total of 65 cases recorded in the nationwide, "Khalil Hedna, a communications officer for the General Directorate of the Electricity and Gas Distribution Company (SDC), was quoted as saying in Constantine on Tuesday
Speaking at a press briefing on the margins of an open day on the dangers of misuse of gas and electricity, organized by the management of the electricity distribution company and Constantine's Eastern Gas (EDT), Mr. Hedna explained that 56 accidents were reported in the eastern region of the country during the same period, detailing that these accidents resulted in 121 victims of asphyxiation from carbon and deploring 33 deaths.
He added that in total, for the same period, 93 incidents were recorded by the services he represents, in other parts of the country, attesting that these accidents caused 182 victims of the gas burned of which 32 died in other parts of the country grouped together
The same official indicated that the number of deaths "very high" recorded in this region is "the reason" for the organization of this open day at the company's electricity and gas distribution company. East (SDE) of Constantine, which has 16 sub-divisions, ensuring that awareness-raising actions will be organized "in the near future" in the other wilayas of eastern Algeria.
According to the conclusions of the SDC services, 80% of carbon monoxide asphyxiation accidents are due to the use of poor quality heating equipment, and 20% are due to the lack of control of apparatus or maintenance of gas-fired apparatus.
In addition to schools, businesses and residents recently relocated, the SDC will target during this awareness campaign, which will be conducted throughout the national territory, plumbers, an element considered essential in the security operation equipment operating on natural gas, it was noted.
The objective of this awareness campaign is to instill in citizens a culture of the use of natural gas through the presentation of advice on the acquisition of quality heating appliances, the obligation to check and repair, if necessary, the installation and equipment used and the procedure to be followed in the event of a gas leak incident.
It should be noted that an exhibition of the new electronic meters as well as the materials and the means of repair used by the technical intervention teams of Constantine's electricity and gas distribution company (SDE), was held during this open house, marked by considerable interest from the citizens.