The German far-right gathered again Thursday night in Chemnitz against the migration policy of Angela Merkel following a homicide in the former East German city became the epicenter of the protest of the ultra right against foreigners and the chancellor.
A few hundred people waving German flags began to gather in the early evening in the quiet, at the call of a local group of extreme right "Pro Chemnitz".
The demonstration takes place on the sidelines of a "citizen dialogue" organized by the local authorities with residents of this city of Saxony, which has been boiling since last weekend.
Hundreds of police officers were mobilized for the occasion, fearing similar incidents to those who enamelled previous gatherings of the same type Sunday, with "collective hunts" abroad in the street, then Monday when clashes between sympathizers of the extreme right and the radical left had 20 wounded.
The trigger occurred during the weekend, when a 35-year-old German was stabbed on the sidelines of a local party. Police arrested two suspects, an Iraqi and Syrian 22 and 23 years old who were accused of acting after a "verbal altercation".
– Auschwitz Committee –
The Vice President of the International Auschwitz Committee, Christoph Heubner, on Thursday fired the alarm at the protests in Chemnitz.
"Auschwitz survivors around the world perceive the events of Chemnitz in a dramatic way, they are more and more worried about the attempts of far-right groups to take control of the street," he said. he said Thursday in a statement.
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights spoke of a "shocking" development.
The situation is embarrassing for the police and the justice system in Saxony because for several days they have been facing accusations of collusion with the far-right movement.
A prison guard, employed by the Saxon Ministry of Justice, revealed Thursday night that he was behind a scandal over the leakage of confidential court documents concerning the murder investigation into knife killing. Sunday fire with powders.
In a statement released by his lawyer, the man, Daniel Zabel, said he wanted to ensure that "the public knows what happened," accusing the media of "manipulating" the truth and authorities to "lie" to the population.
He said he had photographed the arrest warrant in the prison where the main Iraqi suspect had been sent and sent it to the far-right group "Pro Chemnitz", who then broadcast it on social networks.
– AntiMerkel Campaign –
The document gave details of the assault, the victim was stabbed five times in the thorax, but also the identity and address of the suspect and the names of witnesses.
The ultra right has been campaigning for months on the theme of crimes committed by foreigners in Germany, accusing Chancellor Angela Merkel of being responsible for opening the doors of her country to more than one million claimants. asylum in 2015 and 2016, mainly from Syria and Iraq.
She accuses the government of relativising this phenomenon and seizes all the various facts implying asylum seekers to hammer its message.
A strategy of the tension that seems to be bearing fruit in the elections: the AfD (Alternative for Germany, far right) is now hot on the heels of the social democratic party in the polls behind the conservatives of Angela Merkel, in the context of regional elections in Bavaria and Hesse in October.
The Iraqi suspect of the murder of Chemnitz arrived in Germany in 2015 from Iraqi Kurdistan. He had already been convicted several times for violence and drug possession.
Expected to be deported, he appealed this decision and won his case in 2016, says the daily Bild. Saturday, the extreme right of Chemnitz provides a "funeral march" in honor of the victim of stab wounds.